Become a Supervising Teacher
Help aspiring teachers become effective leaders.
Make an even bigger impact in the lives of students across the state by working as a Supervising Teacher. In this role, you’ll share your knowledge and love for learning with aspiring teachers. With training opportunities provided throughout the course of the program, you’ll become a confident and successful mentor—the kind who can mold exceptional, lifelong educators.
Eligibility & Benefits
Supervising Teachers will be selected through a collaborative process led by the District Program Coordinators. Nominated teachers must have at least three years of experience in the classroom, work in a partner district, and teach at one of our host schools. From these nominations, teachers will be invited to apply and will then be interviewed and observed in the classroom setting.
Supervising Teachers will receive a $2,000 stipend during the residency year, as well as:
- Free, professional learning through the Arizona K12 Center to advance your practice as a teacher
and mentor, for which you can receive professional development hours from your district.
- Classroom support from the teacher resident you are supervising.
- Support to pursue National Board pre-candidacy.
- A new network of passionate educators to provide community and support.
- Public recognition
As a Supervising Teacher, you are responsible for overseeing
residents during their in-class apprenticeship. To support
residents as their classroom responsibilities grow, Supervising
Teachers co-plan and co-teach with the resident. You must also
meet with the resident twice a week—outside of classroom
hours—to provide feedback on their teaching, instructional
plans, and grading.
Additionally, you are required to:
- Attend all mandatory forums (about four per year)
- Respond to requests from the AZTR District Program Coordinator or staff to set up observations
- Meet regularly with the District Program Coordinator to discuss resident progress, success, and any concerns
- Become familiar with AZTR’s High Leverage Practices to help evaluate resident’s readiness for teaching
Alexxa Martinez, Supervising Teacher
Samantha Schlottman, Teacher Resident
Jason Doutree, Teacher Resident
Travis Ball, Teacher Resident
Frequently Asked Questions: Supervising Teachers
Here are some of the most common questions we get about becoming a Supervising Teacher. For a full list of frequently asked questions, please visit our FAQ page.
Supervising Teachers will be selected through a collaborative process led by the District Program Coordinators. Please contact the District Program Coordinator for your district if you are interested.
If you have at least three years of experience in the classroom, work in a partner district, and teach at one of our host schools then you are eligible.